Friday, March 03, 2006

Friday's Featured Fast Food Favorite #6: Arctic Circle's Bacon Cheeseburger

Its a little sad for me to note that I haven't made an entries in the blog since last Friday's entry. Maybe that will be my new goal: at least one entry in between the Friday features. Anyway, I'm starting to get busy with a little project for school (we'll call it the Spring Break Wrecker for now), and I'm actually heading down to Las Vegas for the weekend. So I can't be beholden to this blog at all times.

Anyway, on to this week's feature: The Black Angus Bacon Cheeseburger at Arctic Cirlce (Hold the pickles, please).

Arctic Circle Burger

Now, as a kid I remember eating at the Arctic Circle in the old downtown part of Tooele (even older than the current downtown). But as an adult, I never seemed to live near one. Just recently I realized that there was one just a few lights from where I live, so I decided to give it a shot. And I'm glad I did. While their menu is loaded with different burgers, chicken sandwiches, and fish items, I've yet to move beyond my first selection, the Bacon Cheeseburger.

Nothing too fancy, unless you consider bacon fancy, in which case we need to have a talk about which part of the pig qualifies as fancy (My vote goes to ham -- anything that can be the main course of a holiday meal deserves the title "fancy". Sorry bacon. I love you, but you ain't fancy). But always taste good and goes great with their fries and fry sauce.

The fact that they have fry sauce featured promiently on their menu made me look a little further and I discovered that, like KFC, Arctic Circle is a Utah original. I think we should consider a new state slogan: "Utah -- Cradle of several fast food joints". I'm not sure I even what our current slogan is. I remember when I was little seeing stuff that said "Utah: A pretty great state!" or something to that effect. Not quite "Best Valley City", but not much better.

6 comments:

Hero Supreme said...

You may not consider bacon "fancy," but it does seem to be a favorite of yours. I have never been much of an arctic circle fan. Once I tried their Ranch Burger with promises that I would be blown away. I wasnt. Their shakes are good, but as far as Utah originals go, I am mor partial to the offerings of the ambiguously affilited Crown/Astro Burger.

Adrianna said...

Arctic Circle was the only fast food joint in my small town growing up. I loved their shakes and the mushroom burger. (mmm...I'm hungry right now.) I'm more a mushroom girl than a bacon girl. I'm down with dissing bacon as unfancy.

j said...

Before we get too down on bacon, when I say its unfancy, that a compliment not a diss. I mean c'mon I'm writing weekly about fast food. In the post-Super Size Me world. Clearly unfancy is my middle name.

Regirlfriend said...

J, I know there's nothing FAST about waiting in line for 45 minutes in noise and chaos...but I think one day you could post on the Cafe Rio phenomenon of the shrimp taco.

It's the reason the my husband and I filled our little cafe rio card all the way up to get a free meal so quickly.

Cafe rio is a lot of food and often times great for reheating (except the salads)...but i rarely get around to leftovers. The shrimp taco is amazing and not enormous, but comes with rice and beans too so you get filled up if you're more hungry.

Sorry for invading the arctic circle post, but I just wanted to share my joy with a true connoisseur that might have a better day because of it!

It's the special, and only served on Saturdays.

j said...

Thanks for the tip, Kirsten. I am always debating with myself and others what exactly constitutes a fast food restaurant. In the meantime, I would have no problem posting about my love affair with Cafe Rio, despite having never had the shrimp tacos. If I didn't have so many serious issues with seafood I would defintely promise to check them out.

brycecanyonhotel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.