Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Pickyness, Pt. 2: The touch, the feel of cotton, the fabric of our lives

I'm sure that my faithful readers have been waiting on pins and needles to get the follow-up to yesterday's post about my pickyness about smells. Or they've been hoping that I'll forget I ever started this thread and move on to something less boring. Well, in an attempt to appease both groups, I'll try to wrap this topic up today.

In addition to being picky about foods and smells, I also tend to be very picky regarding the sense of touch. When I shop for clothes, the way the fabric feels is a deciding factor in whether or not I will consider buying something. I pick things whose appearance I like, but then I definitely need to see how it feels when I try it on before I can ever commit to buying it. I find that I tend to choose fabrics that feel heavier and thicker. I love my Oxford dress shirts and hate when I (due to lack of clean laundry) have to wear something thinner. Lets just say that me and cotton are good friends. Nylons and polyesters are tough to find in my closet.

I also love the feel of my down comforter and down pillow when I crawl into bed at night. Something about the substance of it all. Not sure what. But I really do have a preference for those. I try to take my pillow with me when I'm road tripping. It doesn't pack quite as well on flights, but it makes a huge difference to me and sleeping.

Anyway, I guess that wraps up this topic. I am not particularly picky about sight and sound. I have one of the most diverse music collections of anyone I know, so I certainly wouldn't consider myself picky in that realm. And as for sight, I'm not even sure what a picky see-er would be.

Thanks for indulging my self-analysis. I'll try to keep it to a minimum in this space unless you, the reader, demands more of it.

2 comments:

George said...

Light sensitivity, aversion to bright colors could be interpreted as "sight pickyness"

j said...

Good to know. What about "sound pickyness"?