Friday, March 24, 2006

Friday's Featured Fast Food Favorite #9: Sconecutter's Club Scone Sandwich

This week's review takes us to another Utah original (I'm always surprised to find out that all these restaurant chains started here, although I guess I haven't lived enough other places to find out if they actually exist elsewhere): The Sconecutter.

sconecutter logo

While being a Utah original, they happen to have a pretty weak web-presence and it was pretty hard to find any pictures of any of their scone sandwiches, so I decided to just get the logo which required some cutting and pasting just to get it isolated. Anyway, moving on to the sandwich itself...

The Club scone comes on your choice of white or wheat scones (white for me). Its main ingredients are sliced turkey and a couple strips of bacon, and the toppings include lettuce, tomato, cheese, sprouts, and pickle and onions that I always skip.

I think the key to a good sandwich is the bread that hold it together. Great ingredients can be ruined by bad bread (see Gandolfo's). I think that Sconecutter does a great job of making scones that are consistently hot, fresh, and the right amount of thickness, along with just a hint of classic scone taste. And the way it holds all the ingredients in makes it feel kind of like a burrito. I do recommend getting some sauce (mayo at the least) to put on it because otherwise it can be a little bit dry.

While Sconecutter is a bit pricier than regular fast food fare, I find that it makes a nice change from the run of the mill menu. Open 24 hours, I believe, so its makes a nice late night fastfood run when you've had your fill of Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers, but aren't in the mood to go all out with a place like Village Inn.

3 comments:

j said...

I'm sorry, but it had to be said.

I really thought Gandolfo's had potential to break into the regular rotation when I first went there, what with heaping quality toppings, but the more I go, the more I get tired of the spongy/soggy bread that sometimes is so thick its like a challenge to get past it to enjoy the rest of the sandwich.

Hero Supreme said...

maybe if you went easy on the wet toppings, you would enjoy the sandwiches more. The Gandalfo is a dream, but sadly it has no bacon, so I am not sure you would like it.

as for the sconecutters, i have never been there. not a big fan of scones. its like eating a brick. besides, arent they the ones that "keep martians under wraps?"

j said...

I don't tell Gandolfo's how to make their sandwiches. I just take them the way they make them. By wet ingredients what do you mean? The mayo?

I just think they could be so much better if they put some effort into making some decent bread. I mean you're already paying quite a bit, you'd think they could get some good bread at that price.

But maybe authentic New York Delis have crappy bread too. I've never been to New York so I can't say.