Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Big Digital Recommends: What the Dog Saw

So I know I no longer have been posting comments about every book that I read, but I figured it couldn't hurt to at least throw in a plug for the books (and I guess other things) that I like as come across them.

What_the_dog_saw

I recently finished Malcolm Gladwell's "What the Dog Saw", a collection of (I assume just some) of his essays from The New Yorker.  And it was a super enjoyable read.  The essays were usually between 15 and 30 pages and covered a broad range of topics.  One about why there are so many kinds of mustard, but pretty much just one ketchup.  One about whether maybe job interviews aren't so great at identifying good workers.  The title essay about The Dog Whisperer.  One about Ron Popeil.  They're all long enough to cover a topic pretty well, but not so long that they get tedious.  Definitely worth a read. I haven't read any of his other books ("The Tipping Point", "Blink", "Outliers") so I can't really compare or recommend those.  But this one was definitely worth the 15 cents in library fines I paid for it.

3 comments:

Kimberli said...

"Outliers" is a great read ... probably my favorite Gladwell book. I thought "What the Dog Saw" was good too.

Julie said...

Yay for fines at the library!!

Sakievich said...

As much as I've enjoyed Malcolm Gladwell's books. You do have to be wary of his biases for what he leaves out, ignores, or sticks his fingers in his ears and says, "lalalalalalalalala". They're still interesting though, just watch your step.