Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Old Book, New Book #34: Bearers of the Black Staff -> Brain Rules

Bearers of the Black Staff

For a Terry Brooks book that was only 350 pages long, this one felt like it took me a long time to finish. Especially when I look back at the limited amount of plot that actually took place in those pages. Or maybe that explains why it took me so long to finish it.  Definitely not my favorite. Maybe my least favorite Shannara book.  Granted, I'll probably still read the sequel when it comes out, but I'm definitely not running out to purchase my own copy of this one.  Just felt like maybe Brooks isn't trying as hard as he used to.  It seemed like there was a lot of philosophizing and whining in this book, and not nearly enough plot.  Anyway...

Up next... well I have a stack of books on my bedside bookshelf, but I'm leaning toward a stroll into nonfiction with something called "Brain Rules" that was recommended by a friend last time I asked for suggestions on Facebook.  Not much of an idea of what it's about, other than some understanding of how the brain works and tips on how to leverage that for personal gain.

BrainRulesCover

No comments: