Thursday, October 14, 2010

Hawaii Trip #1: Days 1 & 2

Ok, so I'm finally getting around to blogging about last week's trip to Hawaii and since George's family is going to be there for the next 3 years, it seemed wise to number this trip as #1, knowing that it definitely won't be the last time that I go. :)

I flew out with mom and dad on Saturday afternoon. Our original itinerary called for us to go through Seattle, but there was some concern that the plane we were supposed to take to Seattle was going to be late arriving in Salt Lake, so Delta switched us to another flight, through LAX. And that worked out fine. We got to Honolulu around 8 pm local time (midnight Salt Lake time). Strangely, our checked baggage still ended up going through Seattle. Even stranger, it arrived at the luggage carousel in Honolulu right next to the one where the Los Angeles flight luggage was arriving but a few minutes earlier. So it was nice that that turned out so conveniently and not in a much worse way.

George picked us up and drove us through the mountains to his home in Kaneohe. We pulled out mattresses to sleep on and called it a night.

The next morning we got up early (for Hawaii, late for Salt Lake, a common theme of this trip) to watch General Conference, which starts at 6 am Hawaii time. It was nice to be able to watch it all streaming online. Glad we didn't have to get dressed up and go watch at a church building. Their kids started getting up throughout the morning and it was fun to be able to sit with them and watch conference and play a little bit too.

Austin playing with his airplane

Story Time with Grandpa Tom
Grandpa Tom reading to the kids

After 2 sessions of conference and lunch, George took us on a drive, up to see the Pali Lookout, then to Punchbowl Memorial Cemetery, and then on a windy loop through the mountains on a road called Tantalus.

Pali Lookout
From the Pali Lookout

Hawaii October 2010 016
At Punchbowl

Punchbowl Memorial Cemetery
At Punchbowl

Looking down at Waikiki
Looking down at Honolulu/Waikiki from a little park up on the Tantalus loop

By the time we got home, I was feeling pretty wiped out(another recurring theme on this trip). We had dinner, played with the kids for a bit and then after they went to bed we called it a night.

More pictures from Day 2.

No comments: