Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hawaii Trip #1: Day 6

Our 6th day in Oahu, George had to go back to work at the clinic, so we had to make do without him. I started out by taking a short morning walk over to Burger King so that I could try some local cuisine. :) Actually, I'm only kind of kidding. I got a spam, rice, and eggs platter that turned out to be pretty tasty.

Spam & Eggs
Flavor of the islands

BK Hawaiian Style
Don't know where you'd find a BK with a better backdrop.

Later that morning, we headed over to Honolulu to check out some of the more historic sites there, including the famous statue of King Kamehameha I.

King Kamehameha
Hail to the King

While we were there checking out the statue, a busload of Asian (probably Japanese) tourists showed up, and suddenly Austin and Elise became one of the highlights of downtown Honolulu, as person after person wanted to take pictures of them and/or have their picture taken with them. What can I say? I guess I'm not the only one who would fly across the ocean to see them.

Rock Star children
And so it begins...


It's tough being a celebrity

After escaping from the paparazzi, we made our way across the street to check out the Iolani palace, and then the state capitol building. In between the two buildings we saw some cool banyan trees.

Banyan Trees

After seeing pretty much everything we could find to see nearby, we headed back to the car, and drove back over to Kaneohe for lunch. After lunch, I went over to the local mall (Obama saw Avatar there!) to do a little shopping. Got a couple things. Hit up Longs Drugs for more souveniry knick-knacks (chocolate macadamia nuts, for example).

Then we headed home and had a fairly relaxed evening hanging out with the kids, packing up our stuff, transferring pictures from cameras to computers to memory cards, etc.

At one point, I went outside to hang out with Austin and watch the cars and trucks drive by on the highway. He was just kind of talking to himself and I thought I'd capture the moment on video:


More pictures from Day 6.

1 comment:

Liz said...

How fun to see that video of you and Austin watching the cars and trucks!