Monday, February 11, 2008

My Musical Recap of 2007, Pt. 4: Leftovers

As I draw this personal music recap of the year 2007 (Part 1: Best Albums, Part 2: Best Hip-Hop, Part 3: Best Rock), now more than a month gone, to a close, I bring you some music that didn't really fit in the other two categories of songs that I posted previously. A few left overs that couldn't be left out.

Leftovers

Pop! Goes My Heart - Pop
The best part of the movie "Music and Lyrics" staring Hugh Grant (yay) and Drew Barrymore (boo) was this song/video that is new but feel like its straight out of 1984 (the year, not the book).


D.A.N.C.E. - Justice
This was a song I found through other people's end of the year lists and Justice seems to be cut from the same cloth as Daft Punk, although definitely has their own sound. If you haven't heard of them check out this song and then maybe some of their other stuff. To be honest, so far this is the only song of theirs that I really am familiar with. Anyway, the official video is pretty cool, but I couldn't pass up this live version from Jimmy Kimmel featuring lip-synching by some of pop music's finests.



Finally, no recap of the music of 2007 can be complete for me without mention of my discovery, thanks to Randall, of Flight of the Conchords, New Zealand's 4th most popular folk parody duo. Here are some of my favorite FoTC songs:

Jenny - Flight of the Conchords
I featured this song on the blog, so long time readers might remember it.


The Hiphopopotamus vs. The Rhymnocerous - Flight of the Conchords
Bret and Jemaine show off their rhyming skills in this "folk gangster rap battle".


The Humans are Dead - Flight of the Conchords
More wit from the kiwis, including Jemaine singing in Stephen Hawking-esque Robot Voice. Warning: One F-word toward the end.


Issues (Think About It) - Flight of the Conchords
As a band, FoTC wants to be about "the issues". In fact that's just one of the things they're concerned about.

No comments: