Monday, February 04, 2008

My Musical Recap of 2007, Pt. 3: Rock

The 3rd part in an ongoing look at music from the year 2007.
Part 1: Favorite Albums
Part 2: Favorite Hip-Hop Songs

How Far We've Come - Matchbox Twenty
I Believe. The World. Is Burning to the Ground.


Makes Me Wonder - Maroon 5
Maroon 5 released their highly anticipated follow-up to Songs About Jane and for the most part I was underwhelmed. Maybe it will grow on me. Hasn't yet. Also the fact that my favorite song features a prominent F-word in the chorus, that I was unaware of until I downloaded it, wasn't so much fun. Don't worry, the embedded video features the clean version.


Speaking of Adam Levine (lead singer of Maroon 5) if you haven't seen the song he did with Andy Sambergy on SNL, you need to check it out. Its a love song to Mahmoud Ahmadenijad (sp?), president of Iran.

When the Sun Goes Down - Arctic Monkeys
I found this song on a best of 2006 list and checked it out and fell in love with it. Especially the chunky guitar riffs that come in after the intro ends. Its a song about prostitutes and their clients. Caution: there's an F-word towards the end.


Welcome to the Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
I probably started listening to this song toward the end of last year, but since it didn't make last year's list I feel alright about including it here. Its a nice emo-rock epic full of angstyness.


Hey There Delilah - Plain White T's
I'm guessing you've all probably heard this song and gotten tired of hearing it, but maybe you're ready to give it another shot. Proof that you don't need a lot to make a great song.


Here are some of my favorite songs from the Linkin Park album I mentioned in the Top Albums section.

Bleed it Out - Linkin Park
One of the aforementioned Fort Minor-y tracks on the LP album. A strange mix of tambourines, hand claps, and mosh pit music.


Shadow of the Day - Linkin Park
One of the more adult contemporary sounding songs on the LP album. You've probably heard it by now, but I loved it before it was a single. ;)


In Between - Linkin Park
I don't think this has been released as a single yet -- couldn't find a music video - - but I really like this song. Again a bit lighter than what you might expect from LP.


No More Sorrow - Linkin Park
Strange to think that this song is on the same album as the last two, but here's a return to some screamy Linkin Park that maybe even goes further than where they've gone in the past in that regard. For me, I like the variety on the album.


The Great Escape - Boys Like Girls
There are so many of these emo bands out there now, thats its hard for me to keep them straight or care enough to check out their music, since they all kind of combine together in my mind. But most of them make some decent songs and eventually I hear one or two. I liked this one.


Fighting - Yellowcard
Definitely a classic Yellowcard song. Reminds me a lot of the songs on "Ocean Avenue."


Light Up the Sky - Yellowcard
This was the first single off Yellowcard's new album, "Paper Walls" and was one of the two new songs they played at Warped Tour this summer. It was one of my favorite albums in 2007 and definitely this is one of my favorite songs on it.


Thnks Fr Th Mmrs - Fall Out Boy
I think in part because their song titles don't clearly associate with their songs I had a hard time figuring out which songs on the Fall Out Boy album I liked best, but this is definitely one of them, and as I said earlier, I really like the album as a whole.


Closer to Our Graves - Lucky Boys Confusion
This is my favorite song on the "Commitment" album that I discovered this year. I like the changes from fast to slow, loud to quiet in this song and can't quite put a finger on what else I like about it, but its good. The only YouTube version I could find was this version set to images from some Japanese samurai-looking anime cartoon. But its a great copy of the song, so I guess you take what you can find.


Sunday Afternoon - Lucky Boys Confusion
Something about this song feels kind of reggae-y, definitely a cool song. Sadly I couldn't find anything but this live version to include here, and its not quite as great as the album version, but listen to it and you'll get an idea of how cool it is.

No comments: