Monday, January 28, 2008

My Musical Recap of 2007, Pt. 2: Hip-Hop

In the first post in this series , I covered my favorite albums of 2007. Now I'm going to start into my favorite songs of the year, and as promised I've managed to find YouTube videos of all of them so you can listen to the song, or not, as you so decide.

A Dream - Common ft. Will.I.Am
Theme song from the movie Freedom Writers that uses some MLK samples.


The Way I Are - Timbaland ft. Keri Hilson
Timbaland keeps on pumping out the hits, whether its producing for Justin Timberlake, or doing his own stuff, he's one of the things thats still good about hip-hop right now.


Crank Dat - Soulja Boy Tellem
Yes, its overplayed. Its probably "selling out" whatever that means. But I defy you to tell me that this song wasn't huge in 2007, and that you didn't at least think about trying to do the dance.


Kanye West had a new album, and while I didn't feel like the whole album was strong enough to merit a spot in the best of the year, there were definitely some great tracks.

Stronger - Kanye West
You've probably heard this one by now.


The Good Life - Kanye West ft. T-Pain
I like this one better, and you may have heard it on the radio as well.


The Glory - Kanye West
Probably my favorite track on the album, and as far as I'm aware it hasn't been released as a single. Yet.


Second to None - Styles of Beyond ft. Mike Shinoda
I like this song from Styles of Beyond on Mike Shinoda's Machine Shop label. WARNING: It does have some cussing.


Paper Planes - M.I.A.
I discovered this song on a lot of other people's "Best of 2007" lists and at first I thought it was just weird, but it really grew on me. Funny how gun shots and cash register sounds make for a great beat.


Shoot Down the Stars - Gym Class Heroes
When I first realized that there are tons of songs available on YouTube I started looking at stuff from bands I was interested in. This was the first one that I found when I was looking for other stuff from Gym Class Heroes and probably helped cement my interest in checking out the rest of their album.


Clothes Off - Gym Class Heroes
Gym Class Heroes seem to do a good job of hitting that spot between a song you would dance to a slow jam. Just good chillin music. I enjoy Travis' rhymes and his voice. Also the video features a dance off between what appear to be college mascots. There's also some PG-13-ish strip poker scenes, so be forewarned.


We Takin' Over - DJ Khaled ft Akon, T.I., Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Baby, & Lil Wayne
DJ Khaled assembled an all-star roster for this song, but more than anything I think its the beat that brings me back to it again and again.


I Tried - Bone Thugs-n-Harmony ft. Akon
Not sure whether this is part of a triumphant comeback for Bone or a final highlight in a long career, but definitely a classic song from Bone. They seem to have slowed down a bit in their old age, but thats a good thing if you want to be able to understand their lyrics. Not that this is a slow song by any means, just slow relative to some of their other hits.


Roc Boys (And the Winner is...) - Jay-Z
Last but not least this late entry from Jay-Z. Gotta love those horns.

No comments: