Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Old Book, New Book #37: The Hobbit -> 2001: A Space Odyssey

The Hobbit

For as short and easy of a read as The Hobbit was, it felt like it took me quite a long while to finish reading it.  Partly I've just had a busy summer, and partly the fact that I remembered nearly all the details of the story (minus at least one twist that took me by surprise near the end) kept me from being all that excited to keep coming back and reading to see what happens next.  It was interesting how much simpler The Hobbit is than the Lord of the Rings books.  Much easier to read.

And still it was a fun read. I'm excited to see what Hollywood can do with this material, and it'll be interesting to see how they find another movie between The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings films (the plan is to make 2 more movies).

Up next? 2001 by Arthur C. Clarke. Only 10 years late. :)  I can't remember where, but I read something not too long ago about the fact that Clarke and Stanley Kubrick, director of the iconic film worked together in putting together both the book and the screenplay, and that with a few minor differences they are pretty closely linked. And since my mom always told horror stories of having to sit through the film (something about half an hour of "just colors"), I've managed to avoid seeing the movie, but I figure the book form can't have 30 minutes of colors flying by.  And it's only about 300 pages so if it is just colors it should be a pretty quick read. :)

2001 Space Odyssey

No comments: