Friday, August 14, 2009

(I'm on a) Newbery Foray

(sung to the tune of Raspberry Beret)

Now that I'm sure you're tired of hearing about my vacation that took place almost a month ago, I guess I could blog about something more contemporary. I've been keeping plenty busy, and will be going camping (again!) tonight. Went boating Saturday last week and Monday night this week (an interesting excursion including pirates!) . Saw Iron Man on the lawn of the capitol Wednesday, and Tuesday night I went to a friend's party and then another friend's soccer match.

Anyhow, last night I made a trip to the library with a friend and, among other things, we stumbled across a shelf of Newbery Medal winners in the children's section, and we started talking about reading all the Newbery Medal winners. Seems doable, right? Though maybe not as easy as reading all the Caldecott Medal winners, am I right? :)

I'm guessing they're all relatively available, and for the most part they should be fairly easy reading, right? Anyway, we grabbed two -- The Voyages of Dr. Doolittle, which was the oldest one we could find, the 2nd ever winner in 1923; and Dear Mr. Henshaw from 1984, because it looked like fairly light reading -- to get started with. Guess we'll see how it goes. Some I've ready before, including this Dr. Doolittle book, others not so much. It appeals to the completist in me.

Oh, and yes, I'm still dragging my way through speech after (truly enjoyable, but not really capturing my imagination) speech in Atlas Shrugged, waiting for the pace to pick up. Given that I'm halfway through the book, somehow I'm guessing Ayn Rand isn't going to switch to "show don't tell" after how far we've already come with the "show AND tell and then tell several more times" method. :) Not giving up. Maybe I just need to set aside more reading time, instead of playing Bioshock when I find a spare moment.

2 comments:

Larissa said...

Seriously? I do recall that one other really cool thing you did was see a friend in a musical. Just sayin...
Oh yeah...and watch said friend and aforementioned library friend kick trash in a softball game for which you were present....

j said...

All true. I was mostly talking about this week, so I left out the fact that I went to your play a couple weeks ago. And I omitted last night's softball game for brevity's sake. I apologize.