Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Week o' Vacationing 2009: Day 10

Finally, we've come to the end of my July 2009 Week 'o Vacationing. Somehow I suspect that the actual vacation was more fun for me than reading about it has been for you, but it looks like some of you are still stopping by to read.

On the morning of our last day in Yellowstone, I woke up early, 6 or so, to use the bathroom (I can never sleep in too late while camping), and since I was already up, I decided to go for a walk and check out our surroundings. I knew there was a river near where we were camped, so I walked over there to check things out.

Dawn over the Madison River
Dawn over the Madison River

Madison River at Dawn
Looking downstream

After taking a few shots of the sun coming up over the river, I looked downstream a way and saw some dark shapes that I figured must be elk, so I decided to walk down there and check things out. Turns out there were 10-15 elk there (all cows as far as I could tell) eating breakfast. I sat and watched them for half an hour or so and then headed back to camp.

Elk feeding at dawn
Elk at Dawn

We didn't make a fire that morning, so it was fairly chilly while we sat and waited for the sun to come up. For breakfast we just ate muffins and bagels. Then we packed up our gear and headed for home. Cara's mom was nice enough to have us over for lunch in Chubbock in the middle of our journey, and we made it home mid-afternoon. And I was back home and back to work the next morning.

Definitely a fun set of vacations. Several firsts (Yellowstone, Tuacahn, Alpine Coaster), good times with friends and family alike. And amazingly, I still have one more vacation left to take this summer. In 2 weeks (12 days actually), I'll be going on a cruise (another first) to the Bahamas with my roommates and some other friends (many of whom were on the St. George trip).

No comments: