Monday, February 20, 2006

President Who?

I received an invitation this past weekend to a President's Day party where it was suggested that one dress as his/her favorite president/first lady. This got me thinking, obviously you might see a lot of Abe Lincolns and George Washingtons, along with some of the more recent presidents (Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush), but wouldn't it be much cooler to go as one of the more obscure presidents, like Rutherford B. Hayes or Chester A. Arthur. I didn't go to that party (had a better option come up), but I did wear a nametag at our mingle yesterday after church that said Rutherford B. Hayes.

Then just today, I was thinking, "I bet there are some other presidents that I haven't even thought of in years." I just looked and I was right. I haven't seen the names of some of these guys since 5th grade. Here's a list of the ones I had completely forgotten were at one point in charge of our great nation (and I'm only listing the ones that came as a complete surprise):

William Henry Harrison (only president during 1841)
Update: I'd heard this story before, but had forgotten which president it was about. William Henry Harrison (Tippecanoe of Tippecanoe and Tyler too fame) gave a long-winded inaugural address in the midst of inclement weather, caught pneumonia and died a month later, making his tenure the shortest in American history. Tyler happened to be his VP and became the president one month into his vice-presidency.
John Tyler (of Tippecanoe and Tyler too fame)
Franklin Pierce
Benjamin Harrison (seems like he is related to the other Harrison, but I am still not certain I ever knew of a president Benjamin Harrison)

So, I guess there were just 4 that I felt caught me complete off guard, but that's approximately 10% of our presidents that I didn't even know existed, much less what they contributed to our country. A few other less-obscure, yet still-obscure to me include Zachary Taylor, James Garfield, and Warren Harding. I'm sure at the time they felt like what they did would have a lasting impact on American history and maybe it did, but sadly their names have not received the fame that others have.

Disclaimer: History is by far my worst subject, not that I ever got less than an A, just never took any real history classes, but that's a topic for another day. So, if you are offended that I've labeled one of your favorites as obscure, feel free to enlighten me on his contributions.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Yeah, anyone that's offended by you're not remembering their favoite president is more of a nerd than I have access to with all my nerd gamer friends. Seriously

j said...

Adam,

I laughed for a reeeeeeally long time when I read that. You never know. I'm sure there are some people who are huge history nerds. They probably can tell me who Franklin Pierce is and how his presidency molded modern society.

Please, please, someone dare to show their nerdiness. I swear I won't snicker at you.

I might snicker towards you though.

Claire said...

Personally I'm a huge Benjamin Harrison fan. I have posters of him on my wall. As I sense you may have grown up in UT Co. or thereabouts, did your 5th grade history teacher not teach you the "President's song," which is a repetitive song whose only lyrics include the names of the 43 (well, 42--barely--back when I learned it) US Presidents? I'd sing it for you now but that doesn't work too well over a blog. Let's just say the tune is so entrancing I still have it in my memory lo these many years later.

j said...

Well in addition to having never lived in UT County, or perhaps as a direct result or that fact, I never learned the President's song. I did have to fill out some workbook pages full of obscure presidential trivia when I was in 5th grade, from which I learned that LBJ had a wife named Lady Bird, and also, I think, a dog with the initials LBJ.