Monday, September 26, 2011

Y5K #22

  • Monday: Is it a coincidence that all of this knee stuff is happening right around my birthday? Probably, but its definitely a reminder that I'm not as young as I used to be.  Anyway, knee still bugging me today, but I still was able to go out and run 3 sets of 10 minutes each, having been inspired by Saturday's longish run.  During my running time, I did about 2.8 miles in 32 minutes.  Altogether with warm-up and cool down, I did 3.4 miles in 41.5 minutes.
And then I decided to shut things down for a while. I don't know if I pushed myself too hard the last couple weeks or if its more of a cumulative thing from all summer. Not sure.  The knee stuff was starting to concern me, and the whole joint was feeling pretty stiff and the muscles around it were sore and tight. It reminded me of a bout of bursitis I had a few years back and I dug out the handout the doctor gave me when that happened, and I've tried to do some of the stretches recommended in there and ice my knee every day and take a lot of ibuprofen.  Anyway, its starting to get back to feeling ok, though its still sore today. My dad suggested I try out the stationary bike here at the exercise room at work, so I brought my gym bag today and maybe I'll give that a shot tonight.

In any case, I'm kind of bummed to get so close to my goal and have to take some time off, but hopefully it's not a long-term setback. I can still run when it's cold outside, right? I see people doing it at least.

No comments: