Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Y5K #1

A couple weeks ago as I was chatting with my good friend Julie, I mentioned that sometimes I feel like I need to find some more hobbies or set some new goals or something to make me feel like I'm doing something with my life when I'm not at work. Anyway, I jokingly said, "Maybe I should train to run a marathon, isn't that what girls do when they reach a certain age and are still single?", because honestly, it does seem like most of the girls I know are training for a marathon or a half-marathon, or a triathlon, or a Ragnar relay, or something. And I'm sure that it's not just girls doing that, but maybe guys just aren't as outspoken about it? I don't know.

In any case, this post is not to say that I have actually decided to train to run a marathon, but that I WOULD like to train to run a 5K. Why not a marathon? I guess because 1) I don't really love running. It gives me an excuse to catch up on some podcasts or listen to some good tunes, but I'm not really that excited about running 26 miles all at once, and 2) 26 miles is a long way, and I imagine it takes a lot of time to run that far once, much less to prepare to run that far. And like I said, since I don't love running, that seems like an awful lot of time to dedicate to something I don't particularly care for.

Anyhow, I pulled out the 5K training schedule for beginners that I got years ago as part of preparation for the 30th Ward 5K (Go Big or Go Home!) and looked at where I'd need to be on the 10 week schedule in order to be ready on schedule for a 5K in June that Meili sent me information about. It's only about 8 weeks from now, but the first two weeks were mostly just walking, and despite not doing a lot of running, I HAVE at least been exercising semi-regularly, so I started about where I needed to be time-wise, and did what was on the schedule this past Saturday and Monday. Basically it was walking for 5 minutes then jogging for 30 seconds. Pretty rough, I know. :) Today I'm supposed to take the big step up to 1 minute of jogging for every 5 minutes of walking. So far it seems doable. :) I really would like to be able to get to the point of being able to jog the entire 5K (not too concerned with my time or anything, just would like to know that I can jog that far). I'm pretty sure I haven't done that since I ran the 5th grade 5K back at GMS. (Go Falcons!)

My biggest concern is that in times past when I had a similar goal that I was derailed by foot pains. I'm hoping that I can get over my fear of the unknown and make it down to Salt Lake Running Company, a store that's been recommended to me by several people, and have them help me find shoes that work better for my form and feet.

As part of my goal, I thought it might be helpful to kind of track my progress here on the blog. Tonight, it's looking like I'll be hitting the treadmill in the exercise room across the hall. Partly because of the gloomy weather outside, and partly because I do still want to get in some minimal weight training once or twice a week while I work on my 5K goal. I AM definitely looking forward to running outside more once the weather finally clears up. I enjoy getting to know the neighborhoods around my house and the variety of exploring new places. I get kind of bored staring straight ahead at the wall across from me when I'm on the treadmill.

Anyone with tips or suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments.

6 comments:

Kristie said...

Karl and I are training for a 5K too. We're doing the Couch to 5K thing found here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.

Eventually running becomes fun. Once I get over those shin splints. Haha.

Liz said...

Good goal, Jake. You might want to see a podiatrist to see if you need orthotics. That is how I got rid of my foot pain. I can recommend an excellent one near Altaview Hospital.

Brenda said...

This is an awesome goal! I think your plan is pretty good. Starting out at a level that is attainable is important to adherence. Good luck!

George said...

I have found that "motion control" shoes work best for my feet incidentally all shoe companies have agreed to put gray tint on the sides of the soles in areas that are more supported so for me that means gray on most of the insides of the shoes I get. PS - I hate running on treadmills but sometimes the weather dictates unless you live in Hawaii. PSS We should run the Ray Barrus 5K in Gville

j said...

Thanks everyone for the support! I definitely do think I need to get some help for my foot pain. Better shoes if nothing else.

And yes, George, I think it would be fun to the Ray Barrus 5K on the 4th.

Natalie Marie said...

I always forget to sign out of ^^^Hal's account^^^ I like Geo's idea of running the Ray Barrus together- YOU'RE ON BOYS!!!