Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Old Book, New Book #33: The Book Thief -> Bearers of the Black Staff

The Book Thief

Finished "The Book Thief" this past weekend. And yes, it was, as I had been informed, a bit emotional at the end. But because of the way that author chose to structure the book, there really weren't any surprises. So that was...interesting, to have the end of the book given away relatively early on. And I always take a little bit of issue with fictional accounts that seem to go for the big emotional payoff in a manipulative way. I mean, it's fiction, right? So the author can make the story however they want. I have a hard time just taking some stories as given when I know that it was a story invented by someone and they had control over whether or not its intentionally sad. Anyway...probably something going on with me more than anything. Anyway, I'll say that I did enjoy the book and thought it gave a little different perspective on the Holocaust than what is usually given. The perspective of the common (or perhaps poorer than common) German.


Up next? Well, let's just say that I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my old pal Terry Brooks is continuing to crank out Shannara stories, and the latest one just happened to arrive at my local library last night (as a result of my requesting it). How long will I keep reading these books? Probably as long as he keeps writing them. Me and TB go way back. Like 3rd or 4th grade. My 3rd grade, not his. :)
Bearers of the Black Staff

No comments: