Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Old Book, New Book #16: Pet Sematary -> Shen of the Sea

PetSematary

I finished Pet Sematary in a relatively short amount of time. Of course after reading Atlas Shrugged for 9+ months last year, every book I read seems like a quick read. :) But, honestly, it was kind of nice to get into a book that kept me coming back to see what would happen next. Thinking I need to mix a few more of those in with some of the others I've been reading lately.

On the whole, I thought Pet Sematary was good but not great. A lot of it deal with the idea of death and coping with death, which perhaps struck me a little more deeply since my grandfather passed away last week in the midst of my reading it. In any case, I liked the first two-thirds of it a lot, but thought the ending was a tad week. Would have liked a little more resolution. Not my favorite by King ("It", "The Dark Tower" series), but not my least favorite either.

Up next is Shen of the Sea, Newbery award winner from 1926. I read it in snatches while I was already reading Pet Sematary. It's a collection of mythological-sounding short stories from China. I haven't looked into the background enough to know if they are original stories by the author (Arthur Bowie Chrisman) or if he just collected them. In any case, they tend to be humorous for the most part and easy reading. I suspect I'll have this one finished before too long.

ShenOfTheSea

No comments: