Thursday, October 25, 2007

Different Box, Same Drug?

So, last night I figured I better get to the store and pick up some cold medicine to get some help getting over the sore throat and other suspicious symptoms I was suffering. In the past, I've found Tylenol Cold to be helpful, so I started looking for that in the medicine aisle at Wal-mart. Turns out there are now several varieties of Tylenol Cold. The first one I found was Tylenol Cold - Head Congestion, which seemed about like what I wanted, except that I didn't have much congestion, and I was actually sensing maybe a touch of fever.

Tylenol Cold Head Congestion

After some more looking I found Tylenol Cold - Multi-Symptom, which listed Fever as one of the things it was good for.

Tylenol Cold Head Multi-Symptom

But now that I was holding both boxes, I realized that both boxes listed the same active ingredients. I thought, "hmm...maybe there's a different ratio of ingredients between these two." Further inspection of the packaging revealed that, at least as far as I could tell, there was absolutely no difference between the two products. The amounts of each active ingredient, the warnings, everything. Is that weird or what?

From Tylenol's website:

Tylenol Cold Head Congestion Day/Night Pack

Daytime Ingredients:

Active Ingredients
-Acetaminophen
325 mg in each caplet
-Dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg in each caplet
-Phenylephrine HCl
5 mg in each caplet

Inactive Ingredients
Carnauba wax, castor oil, cellulose, corn starch, flavors, hypromellose, iron oxide, silicon dioxide, sodium starch glycolate, stearic acid, sucralose

Nighttime Ingredients:

Active Ingredients
-Acetaminophen
325 mg in each caplet
-Chlorpheniramine maleate 2 mg in each caplet
-Dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg in each caplet
-Phenylephrine HCl
5 mg in each caplet

Inactive Ingredients
Carnauba wax, cellulose, corn starch, FD&C blue #1, flavors, hypromellose, iron oxide, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, silicon dioxide, sodium starch glycolate, stearic acid, sucralose, titanium dioxide

Tylenol Cold Multisymptom Day/Night Pack

Daytime Ingredients:

Active Ingredients
-Acetaminophen, 325 mg in each caplet
-Dextromethorphan HBr, 10 mg in each caplet
-Phenylephrine HCl, 5 mg in each caplet

Inactive Ingredients
Carnauba wax, castor oil, cellulose, corn starch, flavors, hypromellose, iron oxide, silicon dioxide, sodium starch glycolate, stearic acid, sucralose

Nighttime Ingredients:

Active Ingredients
-Acetaminophen, 325 mg in each caplet
-Chlorpheniramine maleate, 2 mg in each caplet
-Dextromethorphan HBr, 10 mg in each caplet
-Phenylephrine HCl, 5 mg in each caplet

Inactive Ingredients
Carnauba wax, cellulose, corn starch, FD&C blue #1, flavors, hypromellose, iron oxide, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, silicon dioxide, sodium starch glycolate, stearic acid, sucralose, titanium dioxide

3 comments:

Claire said...

That's weird! I am a fan of Tylenol Cold Severe although I think it gave me major withdrawal headaches when I was on it last.

Anonymous said...

Chlorpheniramine maleate is in the nighttime, as it has a very slight sedative effect. It's not in the daytime.

j said...

I guess what I was trying to say was that the two different packages (Multi-Symptom and Head Congestion) both are exactly the same (Both have Day and Night versions). Not that the day and night version are identical.