Friday, June 16, 2006

Classic Cartoon Countdown #2: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

I am Adam. Prince of Eternia and keeper of the secrets of Castle Greyskull. This is Cringer... my fearless friend.
cringer and adam

Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic sword...
sword aloft

...and said... By the power of Greyskull!
sword

Only a few others share this secret... The Sorceress...
sorceress
...Man-At-Arms...
man-at-arms
and Orko.
orko

Together we defend Castle Greyskull from the evil forces of Skeletor.
skeletor

beast-man

mer-man

I'm really not sure that much else needs to be said. I think the intro speaks for itself. But maybe I'll just say that He-man was a show that I loved to watch every afternoon. This cartoon is just recently becoming available on DVD, so maybe I'll have to check that out sometime. He-man always had plenty of chances to get rid of Skeletor. Pretty much every week, he'd have Skeletor hanging off a cliff or something, only to let him go.

He-man had some of the coolest toys of all the shows out there. Every action figure had its own unique feature it seemed. There was the cobra guy who shot "acid" (I guess if you had some kind of acid you could use that instead of water), I had a lizard guy with a tail you could whip around, there was a two headed guy, a guy with three different faces (Man-E-Faces, I believe was his name), Ram Man, who had a spring inside so you could launch him just like in the show. The Orko figure I had had a little zip cord thing to make him move around on his own, plus it came with a magic trick. There was even a line of He-man figures that featured a rotating chest piece that showed battle damage! There were tons of unique figures to get. Of course there were a few lame ones. Our neighbors had a Prince Adam figure, and someone I knew had a Teela figure. Who wants a girl action figure? Girls?

And we haven't even got to the castles yet. You could get the Castle Greyskull or Skeletor's castle and they each had some cool features. I especially remember Skeletor's castle had a microphone that you could use to change your voice to sound kind of Skeletor-ish. How cool is that?

The success of the cartoon inspired a theatrical released movie that was a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge disappointment. Basically, He-man and Skeletor came to our world and did some stuff, but they were the only characters from the cartoon who even showed up. Not sure who thought this would be a good idea. Maybe Los Angeles (or wherever it was set) was easier to get to for filming than Eternia. Whatever the case was, I'm sure children across the country shared a collective, "huh?" upon viewing this film.

***********************************************

One quick note regarding the countdown. In American Idol-esque fashion, you'll have to wait a little more to find out what is #1. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a family vacation to California (Oceanside) and will likely be without internet for approximately 8 days. I can only imagine the number of emails I'll have in my Inbox when I return (2? 3?), but I'll also be unable to post to the blog. And I'll only be in town for 1 day before I leave for a conference in Nashville, so I can't promise that you'll know the winner until two weeks from today at the earliest. On that note...Big Digital, out.

***********************************************

Here's the updated countdown:
#10: Underdog
#9: Thundercats
#8: G.I. Joe
#7: Superfriends
#6: Scooby's All Star Laff-a-lympics
#5: Voltron
#4: X-men
#3: Looney Tunes
#2: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

4 comments:

j said...

Man you were spoiled! I personally only owned the lizard guy (Whiplash, I believe was his name) and Battle Cat. My brother had Man-E-Faces and a guy who when you twisted his legs his head would scope up, and I think we had the battle damage He-man.

We never dreamed of having one, much less both, of the castles.

Claire said...

All I really remember from that is, "I HAVE THE POWER!" shouted with raised sword. Wasn't there a She-woman somewhere along the line? I wonder if they ever reproduced. Maybe that's where Superman came from.....

j said...

I think you're probably refering to She-Ra, who actually was He-Man's sister, so lets try not to think of them reproducing.

George said...

Mu guess for Number 1 has been foiled again. Smurfs and Transformers are now my only remaining guesses. I've gotta go with Smurfs just for the longevity and how they always managed to fill a whole hour in the Saturday morning run ... sort of dominated that way.