Wednesday, May 24, 2006

And so begins the Summer of Productivity

Lately I've been feeling a little unproductive. I'll be honest, I'm far from the best person to motivate me. Self-starter I am not, at least not on the things I think I need to do. If all I needed to do was surf the web and organize my iTunes music library, pencil me in as self-starter of the year. Unfortunately there are things that I'm not so good at getting myself to do. But all that has changed, starting yesterday. I've made myself a daily schedule with things that I need to do on it that looks like this:

7:30 Get up, exercise
8:30 Shower, Get dressed
9:00 Eat Breakfast
9:15 Read Scriptures
9:45 Leave for "work"
10:15 Arrive at "work"
4:00 Leave for home

11:00 Get ready for bed
11:30 Go to bed

In addition to the fixed items, I've also made a goal to each day pick some task that needs doing and get it done. Maybe I can make 4:30, when I get home from "work" my daily task time. Yesterday it was grocery shopping. Today its folding the laundry I washed on Monday that been sitting in the laundry basket since then. Tomorrow -- I've got some bills that need paying. I'm also going to need to dedicate time most days to my new church calling (Executive Secretary for my bishop) as there appears to be a limitless supply of people who need to meet with him, but I'll probably get a better handle on that as time goes on.

As far as "work" (my research project) goes, I figure that if I at least am here at my desk for nearly 6 hours a day I can't help be manage to be productive. I realize that may be a stretch, but considering all the other changes on the above list, I don't want to try to do too much at once. I have some other things I'd like to improve on as well.

So far (1 day) I'm batting 1.000. I'm sure I'll face some challenges along the way, most likely in the form of things that I'll have to do early in the morning some days that will throw a wrench into my schedule. I'm not sure what I'll do on those days, but I think the key is not to let it mess up my schedule for the other days. I'd like to say I'll worry about that when it comes up, but I think its probably a good idea to have a plan in advance. Any ideas?

I'm planning to post a weekly update, more for me than for you, as a way of holding myself accountable. Feel free to skip over those updates if you like. Not sure what day they'll be coming. Maybe Monday, maybe Wednesday. We'll just have to see.

3 comments:

ashley. said...

I think posting a weekly update as a form of personal accountability is a great idea. Good luck.

Adrianna said...

My advice is don't be so married to your schedule that it can't be flexible on the days it gets messed up. If you lose time to excercise in the morning, commit to excercising at 5 or 6 instead. It may not be your ideal, but that way it still gets done.

I love the times like you're having. It's so motivating to simply have a plan for feeling like you're accomplishing something. I think those times come from the Spirit.

j said...

Sounds like solid advice.