Monday, April 10, 2006

The Tortoise and The Hare

TortoiseAndTheHare1935

You know the fable of the tortoise and the hare? Well I think its full of crap. I mean c'mon. The turtle is never going to beat the hare in a race. I mean, why does the hare have to get labeled as irresponsible, just because its faster than the tortoise. I mean, "Slow and Steady" wins the race? I think that "Fast and steady" or "Fast and even kind of steady" beats "Slow and steady" every day and twice on Sundays.

I realize the moral of the story is the need to be consistent and basically that consistency in the right direction beats bursts of movement in the right direction, but hares are so much faster than tortoises. I think the hare could totally stop for a nap, or lemonade, or a tennis match, or whatever the hare supposedly did and still win the race. A hare has humongous legs for running really fast. And tortoises -- they're reaaaaly slow And who's to say that tortoises are any more steady? We should focus more on their good qualities, like their sturdy shell and whatever else tortoises have going for them that hares don't.

2 comments:

j said...

Hmm, I guess thats another way to look at it. But it seems like the tortoise was pretty confident of his own abilities. Or why else would he be racing against a hare?

Ninny Beth said...

and the truth is that tortoises are stupid.

I think that if we are going to teach children this story, we should point that out.