Saturday, April 22, 2006

Every once in a while, the U gets it right

yellowcard

Got back about an hour ago from enjoying a great show outdoors at the U put on by Yellowcard. Who totally rocked the joint, and managed to grace us with more songs off their next-to-last album than off their new one. I was kind of glad that they didn't try to force their new stuff on us, and the crowd definitely seemed appreciative to hear their favs. The band really seems to have an affinity for SLC and mentioned that this was their biggest audience ever (approx. 8,000 attendees). Not sure if that means for a show that they were headlining, because I would guess they've opened for audiences that big before. My ears are still ringing a bit. Normally I would have worked my way into the pit, at least for a bit, but I was with some friends who were a bit ansy about getting trampled.

I don't know why the U doesn't focus more on having more of these free big name events and fewer events where I can get discount tickets to see someone I've never heard of. I realize they probably don't have the budget to get lots of big names bands to come and and give students free tickets, but I'd prefer two great shows like tonight to the 20-odd events featuring Nobody McNo-One and his backup band.

Anyway, for at least one night, they got it right. Props to whoever was behind that one.

Addendum: Just in case anyone was wondering, I thought I'd add the list of songs they played. I don't remember the exact order of the setlist, so I'll just give it to you by the album that the song is on.

From Ocean Avenue:
Way Away
Breathing
Ocean Avenue
Empty Apartment
Life of A Salesman
Only One
Believe
Back Home

From Lights and Sounds:
Lights and Sounds
Down On My Head
Sure Thing Falling
Rough Landing, Holly
Waiting Game

and from One for the Kids:
October Nights

1 comment:

Aaron Kamauu said...

Dude, I didn't even know they were here. That would have been great.