Friday, February 25, 2011

Old Book, New Book #31: The Accidental Billionaires -> The Devil in the White City

accidental_billionaires

I took this book with me on my President's Day weekend road trip to La Verkin, and as the weather was pretty wet and cold I had plenty of down time for reading, and I actually had this one finished off by the end of Saturday, leaving me without much to read on Sunday afternoon.  Oh well... at least it was a good read. :)  If you've seen the film "The Social Network", this is the book that that film was adapted from, and the subject matter is pretty much the same.  There are a few additional story elements added in the film for the purpose of story-telling, and a little more jumping around the timeline than in the book, but having seen the film first, the book didn't really add anything too crucial. Which I guess means the film was a pretty decent adaptation.  Anyway, it was a nice quick vacation read, so if you're looking for something like that, you might like this.

Up next is "The Devil in the White City", recently recommended to me by a good friend who happened to own a copy, and long ago mentioned to me by my old roommate CJ, who at the time was showing me around the Midway in Chicago, where a significant portion of this book is set. I don't know much about it, other than it is a work of historical fiction (I guess you could argue the same about "The Accidental Billionaires") about the World's Fair in Chicago in 1893 and a serial killer who was there at the time. I think it's got potential to be pretty good.

Devil-in-the-White-City

No comments: