Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Newbery Foray #3: The Dark Frigate

The Dark Frigate

As I work through this vast list of Newbery Medal winners, my method of choosing which to read next has been to simply look at the list and choose the oldest one I haven't read yet that is available at the library I happen to be in, the exception of course being the first one I read, "Dear Mr. Henshaw". The one I just finished, "The Dark Frigate", won the Newbery Medal in 1924, which really isn't that far off from being 100 years ago. I suspect that may explain some of the strange words used in it. Or maybe that's just a product of the book being set in 17th century England. Not sure.

In brief synopsis this is the story of an orphaned boy who ends up on a ship that is then captured by pirates and he has a brief adventure. Strangely though, he doesn't end up on the ship for maybe 80 of the 250 pages. And even then the story moves pretty slowly. I nearly gave this book up many times, but stuck with it out of principle. Thankfully, the plot picked up a bit toward the end, and the last third was fairly enjoyable.

Not sure I'd recommend it, but in the end I didn't hate it. :)

No comments: