Saturday, November 28, 2009

Newbery Foray #2: The Voyages of Dr. Dolittle

Voyages of Dr Dolittle

While I continue to wrestle my way through Atlas Shrugged (under 200 pages to go!), I also managed to sneak in some (much) lighter reading by finishing another Newbery Medal winner: Hugh Lofting's "The Voyages of Dr. Dolittle", which won the big prize way back in 1922. I finished this a couple weeks ago, but am just getting around to writing it up.

By way of a brief review, I have to say that this was definitely a children's book. Not much in the way of any lengthy story lines, aside from the overarching narrative of Tommy Stubbins meeting up with the good doctor, and after some brief training, taking off on a voyage across the sea. Most of the chapters of this book are a mere handful of pages, and often when a new character is mentioned in the way of "It's been so long since we last saw Chee-Chee", it's only a paragraph or two before that character arrives on the scene.

Compared to "Dear Mr. Henshaw", this one was at a much younger reading level. I was also surprised to find out that it was not the first Dr. Dolittle novel. In any case, it was an okay read.

No comments: