Friday, September 11, 2009

Hardware Malfunction

I'll preface this story by saying that of all the times I've been late to work in my life, almost all of them were due to the fact that I managed to screw up setting my alarm clock, or forgot to set it before going to bed. Yesterday I got up later than usual because I'd showered right before bed, meaning I could sleep in a bit the next day. Then, last night I made sure to change my alarm from 7:40 back to my usual time of 7:10. I woke up this morning, stumbled to the bathroom, and thought, man I am so tired this morning, I'm going back to bed for a few minutes. I made sure to reset my alarm to 7:25, hoping to catch a few extra Zs.

I woke up what felt like hours later, feeling sure that I'd overslept and somehow screwed up my alarm clock. I opened my eyes and saw that the clock read 7:10 and I thought "Dang it, I must have left it on 'set the alarm' mode, rather than actually setting the alarm." and that's why it was still displaying the alarm time, even though it must be quite a bit later than that by now.

I jumped out of bed and checked my watch. Guess what. It was only 7:11. I then recalled changing the alarm to 7:25, so there's no way, even had I left the clock in set-up mode, that it would have read 7:10. It actually was 7:10. Which could only mean one thing: when I woke up the first time, it wasn't even my alarm clock that woke me up, and it must have been sometime in the middle of the night, and I just assumed it was 7:10. Weird.

What are the odds that I would wake up without an alarm at exactly the time that I'd set my alarm for originally? Okay maybe it's not that implausible, since my body tends to get used to getting up at a usual time, but still that fact combined with the fact that I thought I'd already woken up once at 7:10 made for a perplexing moment.

Then I went back to bed and slept til 7:25. :)

No comments: