Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A veritable cornucopia

I haven't blogged for a few days. Not that I've been too busy, just that I haven't been able to figure out what I wanted to say. I guess I'll just give you a random assortment of thoughts.

1) Its been a good month for Discontinued Fast Food favorites as two items from the Hall of Fame have reappeared, the Monterrey Ranch Chicken sandwich at Wendy's and Onion Petals at Arby's. Also, looking over the list, I realize that some Wendy's do still serve Bacon and Cheddar Baked Potatoes. Last night I also was at a Wendy's that is now serving breakfast. The pictures look good, but I guess I won't know until I find one near me to try it.

2) With the start of the new semester I've been doing my best to get up at 7 every morning during the week, so that I can do my scripture study in the morning and also 3 days a week do some walking/jogging. So far (only 8 days in so far) I've gotten up before 7:20 every morning but 1, and am doing good with the exercise and the scriptures. So thats something I'm feeling good about. I'm a little worried about the pain I feel in my medial sesamoid on my right foot, thinking I may have a stress fracture since its been bothering me for well over a year now. Not real sure what to do about that, though. I'm not ready to start dealing with my crazy student insurance plan again, and a friend who had one had to wear a boot, and I'm not too excited about doing that either.

3) Went to my new Institute class last night, and the subject matter (Parables of Jesus) sounds interesting, but I'm not yet sold on the instructor. In my many years of Institute, I've found that the instructor makes a huge difference for me. For the last 3 years I've been going to a class taught by an instructor that I really liked, and now they've got someone else to teach the class. I always get a little nervous when the instructor starts talking like they know secrets about the gospel, or that the majority of the church doesn't understand the gospel, or that things that have been taught for a long time in the church are incorrect, or need improvement. I realize that obviously we all have a lot to learn, but something about the attitude that "most people in the church don't understand this" makes me nervous when its coming from someone who isn't a general authority of the church. I once heard an instructor describe another instructor by saying something like "He seems to know so much, that sometimes you wonder if he could really know some of it." Anyway, this new instructor has a hint of that, and I'm definitely going to go next week and see how it goes, but I'm a little bit skeptical.

4) Overall, I've been feeling kind of lonely and a bit down lately. There are a few possible explanations for this, but they aren't anything new, so I'm not really sure why I'm feeling it now. When I get like this, I just try to tell myself that it will pass, and eventually it does, and in the meantime I like to turn on some Counting Crows and let it wash over me.

3 comments:

Hero Supreme said...

not sure how i feel about eating breakfast at wendy's. but i guess it cant be worse than subway making omelets out of yesterday's left over sandwich toppings.

Adrianna said...

I agree about institute instructors. I found the ratio of bad instructors to good instructors too unbalanced to keep going. I found myself too frustrated most of the time. It was probably my fault though.

You could have met some people at my party, but I understand not coming. Not sure I'd go if the tables were turned. Kinda weird in blog land. I wonder that I broke the cardinal, unwritten blog rule.

j said...

Yeah, I guess I wasn't in the right frame of mind to meet people I only know from the web. Don't feel bad though. I'm not upset that you would invite me, quite the opposite really. So did you manage to achieve world peace this year? or will the tradition live on next year?