Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Big Digital Sells Out

Yes, I'm still alive. My holidays were great. Loved spending time with the fam, and then being lazy for a week afterward (wait...wasn't I supposed to be finishing up my dissertation edits?...hmmm) and now that the holidays have come and gone, I've gone and started a full-time real job for the first time in about 4 and a half years.

Today is just day 2, and already I've run out of things to work on for now (guess I could think about my dissertation for a minute). I mean, I'm sure things will be picking up shortly, as I've been in touch with several people to talk about several projects, but for now it's just been setting up meetings and getting ready to move my stuff from one location to another. Yesterday was corporate orientation and it wasn't too awful, but I certainly wouldn't categorize it as "efficient". This morning I met with the guy who is my advisor and also the head informatics guy at my company, and he let me know about moving, and also that I have a meeting to go to tomorrow morning at 8 (and every Wednesday morning for the foreseeable future. And while the whole getting up early like working people thing isn't my favorite, having some structure in my life again is nice.

1 comment:

Rachie said...

Like, you're supposed to BE at the meeting at 8:00? Not just set your alarm for 8:00? Inhumane!

I hear you on the structure. I decided a couple of weeks ago that I need to start getting up and going to bed at the same time (my alarm actually is set for 8:00, come to think of it...) as well as actually showering and getting dressed as opposed to stumbling downstairs in my pajamas and picking up the computer (then staying that way all day). There's something about clothing that adds a touch of class to any day.

Good luck with the new job. I always thought the first month was the hardest (emotionally, anyway)--you get through the first month and the rest is a breeze. Until they restructure and ruin everything, anyway. :)