Friday, August 25, 2006

Friday Lit Review: Wayside School

This week I decided to share a few books that I really enjoyed in elementary school, and which my teachers enjoyed sharing with me. They are the books about Wayside School by Louis Sachar, who also wrote Holes.

The first book, Sideways Stories from Wayside School, introduces us to the horribly misbuilt Wayside School where there are 30 stories, one classroom on each, instead of 30 classrooms on one main floor.

sideways stories

The book has 30 chapters, each one dealing with one of the students of the 30th floor class, or their teacher (Mrs. Jewls) or one of the odd substitutes that show up when Mrs. Jewls isn't feeling well. Each chapter encapsulates a short story where one of the students has an experience where we get to know them better or more about the class.

The 2nd book, Wayside School is Falling Down, continues with more stories about our favorite class.

falling down

And I just recently have learned that there is a 3rd book, Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger, which I need to check out.

wayside school gets stranger

There are also two books which are titled Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School and More Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School, which don't really have much in the way of narrative, but are packed full of logic based puzzles, that for the most part are going to be for kids at a higher level of education than the stories are intended for, at least that was my experience.

Sorry for the shortness of this post, but I wanted to make sure I posted something this week, as I skipped last week's review, and am headed out for a camping trip here shortly.

2 comments:

Claire said...

I loved the Wayside School books too and was glad you filled us in on the 3rd one. For some reason when I was reading this post I was reminded of the books "The Celery Stalks at Midnight" and "Howliday Inn" by James Howe. Did you read those? I really ought to go back and get caught up on some of my faves as a kid. Thanks for the reminder!

j said...

I actually did read those, and remember liking them, although I don't remember much about them.