Friday, August 04, 2006

Friday Lit Review: The Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald

The Great Brain

I'm going way back this week to some books that I read early on in my reading career. I had probably finished this series by the time I was in 2nd grade. I only know this because I remember choosing one of them as my favorite book when it was my turn to be the class spotlight. The Great Brain series was authored by John D. Fitzgerald and are told in first person by the author chronicling the adventures of him and his older brother Tom, "The Great Brain". Tom uses his "great intelligence and money-loving heart" to set up scams where he swindles local kids out of their money or just finds ways to earn money at little cost to him.

One thing I found interesting about the books was that they take place in Utah around the turn of the century (the last century, not this one). The Fitzgeralds were Catholics growing up in Utah, and the books are set in a fictional town called Adenville, although the wikipedia entry indicates a good guess for the actual location would be Price, which surprised me a bit, as I had always imagined it being more near St. George, but maybe that's just because it said southern Utah somewhere.

Anyway, there were 7 books in the series when I was growing up, although my research tells me that there is now an 8th book that was published post-humously that gets some pretty good reviews on Amazon. I'd post pictures of them all here, but I was unable to find cover photos for about half of them, so I decided against it. The books in the series are:

The Great Brain
More Adventures of the Great Brain
Me and My Little Brain
The Great Brain at the Academy
The Great Brain Reforms
The Return of the Great Brain
The Great Brain Does It Again

The Great Brain is Back

The last one being the one that I have not yet read. Of the original 7, I always liked "Me and My Little Brain" and "The Great Brain at the Academy" the best. In "My and My Little Brain", JD (all the boys in the family go by their first two initials), the author, steps into the role of conniver, as TD (Tom) has gone to Salt Lake City to attend high school (the academy). In "The Great Brain at the Academy", we get to learn about TD's adventures away at a Catholic school in Salt Lake.

I think these books are at a pretty low reading level, but are great stories for anyone who likes great stories about kids. My brother and I found them at my grandparents' house and took them home for ourselves, at least two of them. The rest all showed up shortly thereafter, although I don't know if my parents bought them for us, or if they were also at my grandparents' originally. Either way, I'm sure I read them all through a couple times growing up.

5 comments:

Hero Supreme said...

Catholics? In Utah?? Blasphemy!

Natalie Marie said...

Acutally I would guess Adenville to be present day Circleville where Butch Cassidy was originally from as is notes in Me and My Little Brain. I must say I loved all of these books, and I did read the eigth in the series. It wasn't as good as the rest, but still had lots of adventures.

Claire said...

I read all of those books about five times each before I hit age 10. My favorite, though, is one that's not in the Great Brain series. It's his story about his parents called "Papa Married a Mormon" and it's so good and interesting. Definitely a recommended read. Oh, and I always wanted to be just like the Great Brain. What a guy.

j said...

Where is Circleville Natalie? I just read what it said on wikipedia.

Natalie Marie said...

Circleville, if I remember correctly from our summerly excursions with dad and grandpa, is somewhere around Beaver. It is a small old town. One that you would miss if you blinked at the right time